Author Topic: CJ Speedometer - Wanted  (Read 399 times)

Offline RattleTrap55

• Member 2017
  • 84 CJ7
CJ Speedometer - Wanted
« on: December 20, 2017, 10:23:21 AM »
I am looking for a speedometer for a 1984 CJ7. The unit does not need to be perfect as I plan to rebuild it anyway.

I currently have new (2,000 miles on it) after market unit from OMIX-ADA.

The unit is inconsistent in the speed reading. For example, when compared to a GPS i will have a constant GPS speed of 51 or 52. The Speedometer might read 45, 50 55, or even 65/70. Other times the needle will bounce wildly from 40-70.

Thank You,
Garner

Offline Gr8Dain

• BOD
  • I HATE RUST!!!!!
Re: CJ Speedometer - Wanted
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2017, 02:04:19 PM »
Are you sure it is not the cable itself?  And do you know if you have the right speedo gear for your tires/gears?  Just wondering if swapping out will fix the real speed issue or not.

I happen to have a speedo unit from a 79 CJ7 if you are interested. I am looking at the speed hut gauges and want to use them if I can stomach the price tag when I get around to renovating my dash.
Dain

1984 CJ-8 Scrambler
3.5" lift
DD and trail toy

2015 JKU - Completely stock - Family mobile

Offline RattleTrap55

• Member 2017
  • 84 CJ7
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2017, 03:24:22 PM »
Good points - I verified both the gear size (tooth count) and condition when I had the T-case out & apart. So, I think am good there. At the same time I removed the cable from the sheath, cleaned it, and dry lubed it before reinstalling. It turns freely without binding once reassembled and installed in the Jeep. For now, I have ruled out a bad cable.

Speedhut builds nice gauges. I installed a separate Speedhut temperature gauge in the jeep when I rebuild the engine because I lacked confidence in the temp gauge in the speedometer cluster. The down side, for me, is that the Speedhut speedometer is a GPS design not mechanical. For many this is a selling point but being the contrarian, I am concerned about the need for an external antenna and the how the unit deals with lost signal.

Which leads me to your original offer of 79 CJ7 speedometer - do you know what the difference is in the pre-1980 speedometer cluster and the post 1980 speedometer cluster?

Thanks,
Garner

Offline Gr8Dain

• BOD
  • I HATE RUST!!!!!
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2017, 05:02:16 PM »
The only difference I know of is the lack of the 1 for the 100,000 miles.

And I have not looked, but I thought speedhut offered a mechanical gauge as well. I want the GPS one myself.

As for the gauge I have, when I get back in town on Saturday, I can take a picture of it. I do know that the speedometer and the gas gauge work as I tested those on another memberís CJ 7 a month or so ago while testing his speedo and fuel sending unit.
Dain

1984 CJ-8 Scrambler
3.5" lift
DD and trail toy

2015 JKU - Completely stock - Family mobile

Offline Gr8Dain

• BOD
  • I HATE RUST!!!!!
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2017, 04:36:02 PM »
Test reply with pic
Dain